Servers up March 25th!

Discussion about various topics related to FFXI.

Servers up March 25th!

Postby Aelfwise » Tue Mar 22, 2011 7:28 pm

Restoration of Game Services

On March 13th, 2011, Square Enix announced they would temporarily be shutting down the servers for Final Fantasy XI to help with power conservation actions in the wake of the earthquake and tsunami that struck Japan a few days prior. Today, they've announced that through additional conservation actions at their Tokyo office building, they will be able to restore services for Final Fantasy XI and Playonline at approximately 4:00 (PDT) on March 25th, 2011.

From Playonline.com:

As part of power conservation measures enacted following the Tohoku earthquake, our game servers were shut down on Mar. 13, 2011 3:00 (PDT) and services for FINAL FANTASY XIV, FINAL FANTASY XI, and PlayOnline (hereafter referred to as "these services") were temporarily suspended. We have determined a date for the restoration of these services, and would like to share this information with you.

Operating the servers for these services makes up 11.6% of the total power consumed by our Tokyo office (based on February 2011 records). We have shut down our air conditioning system (8.8%) and enacted other power conservation measures, such as reducing lighting in our offices, to achieve over 10% in energy usage reductions. With these energy saving measures in place, we will be able to bring our servers back online and restore service to FINAL FANTASY XIV, FINAL FANTASY XI, and PlayOnline on Mar. 25, 2011 4:00 (PDT). All other services, such as those offered on the PlayOnline website, that were temporarily suspended will also be restored at the same time. Please be aware, however, that we may once again be required to suspend services in the event that the power situation worsens.

We offer our sincere apologies for the inconvenience caused by the temporary suspension of these services, and thank you for your understanding. As noted in our original notice regarding the suspension of these services, customers will not be charged any monthly fees for FINAL FANTASY XI throughout the April billing cycle.

We at the Square Enix group are trying to act in a proactive manner in order to provide support towards the relief and restoration efforts in the face of this unprecedented disaster while providing reliable service to our customers, and we thank you for your understanding and support.
Aelfwise
Sky God

Re: Servers up March 25th!

Postby Krichtan » Tue Mar 22, 2011 7:57 pm

I hope they are able to bring them back on the 25th. I hope nothing else happens over there. The situation still looks pretty unstable if you ask me.
Krichtan
Qufim Quelcher

Re: Servers up March 25th!

Postby Aelfwise » Tue Mar 22, 2011 8:05 pm

I agree that anything could happen between now and then but it is nice to see progress through the news etc. I've been missing the crew online too!
Aelfwise
Sky God

Return to FFXI Discussion