[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Wandering Soulz • View topic - Time for a dose of Truth for PS3 Fanboys

Time for a dose of Truth for PS3 Fanboys

Post anything here that isn't necessarily FFXI related.

Time for a dose of Truth for PS3 Fanboys

Postby Piraya » Fri Feb 17, 2006 7:33 pm

Please read this link telling about interviews of game developers who currently received playstations alpha kits.
Piraya
PimpTaruTaru

Postby kaelsam » Mon Feb 20, 2006 1:34 pm

figures sony would pull shit like this. U BASTARDS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm going to b so pissed if it sux ass. i love the playstation and hate to see them floundering like this when u know damn well they can do a hell of a lot better with it... /sigh so disappointing :cry: :cry: :evil: :evil: excuse me while i go beat my head on the wall for awhile
lmao......where r we going again?
Umm again where r we going and why do i have to drive the school bus?
Always remember: if u dont enjoy masturbation then u only have urself to blame!!!!
kaelsam
Kuftal Kicker

Postby Claquesous » Mon Feb 20, 2006 2:32 pm

It sounds as if the analogy XBox is to PS2 as PS3 is to XBox 360 will not be valid at launch. Although the article does seem to say that PS3 is clearly better just not nearly as much as the hardware would make you expect. I think part of the problem may be that libraries for the new Cell processor just aren't able to harness it's true potential yet. I'm hopeful that in a year or two (perhaps around the time the next generation starts getting started) PS3 will pull away a bit more from XBox 360. Then again PS3 may not even be out a year from now at the current rate...

Claquesous 3052 Damage 12/21/07
Montparnasse 3120 1/15/09
Babet 1766 9/17/08
Gueulemer 1170 6/8/08
Exp: 621 (Chain #1 solo IT +KS). 1/11/07
Claquesous
Sky God

Postby Piraya » Mon Feb 20, 2006 4:32 pm

A few points. Xbox 360 and PS3 based on that article are very similar outputs as far as system capabilities. And to say the libraries are the reason for the lack of potential is both valid but also a nonissue IMO. Both system libraries are inadequate. Xbox 360 is not being used to its fullest capabilities as well. This goes for most consoles releases, it will take usually around a year for game developers to harness each systems power and start making games that truely make gamers awe. But I do agree PS3 will be slightly better in terms of managing multiple processes at once compared to the Xbox 360. So in the terms of the article I view both systems as very comperable units with PS3 being slightly better. But for a system thats coming out much later it should be much more than slightly better.
Piraya
PimpTaruTaru

Postby Claquesous » Mon Feb 20, 2006 5:00 pm

The XBox is using a processor made by IBM based on the Power architecture which I believe is now on version 5, but has been around for like 20 years or something. The PS3 is also an IBM processor but is using the Cell Architecture which is brand spanking new and has never been used before on something of this size. I think there has been some development of games on Power since it was, until recently, used for all Macs, but I agree there probably is some room for growth. Cell on the other hand has never been used anywhere and is probably a big question mark. I am optimistic that they will find new and exciting ways to use Cell that they just haven't figured out yet. I think this is much less likely to happen for Power since it's strengths and weaknesses are already pretty well known. Of course there is also a chance that Cell could have some sort of bottleneck as games advance and that Power will be better. It's too hard to say at this point. Revolution by the way is also using an IBM processor, but I forget what architecture. All three I believe are fabricated at IBM East Fishkill only about a half hour from me.

I think that's about enough geekiness for me for a bit...

Babet 1766 9/17/08
Gueulemer 1170 6/8/08
Claquesous
Sky God

Postby Piraya » Mon Feb 20, 2006 5:05 pm

I'd hope there's room for growth...considering the best game out for Xbox 360 is only using about 30% of its processing power.
Piraya
PimpTaruTaru

Postby Sephiros » Mon Feb 20, 2006 9:22 pm

Doesnt matter how good PS3 isor is not. with the technology and licensing for half of the crap they use, the average estimated retail price for most articles is gonna be around $699. If it isnt close to this sony losing massive money, they dont exactly have bill gates. Most people will probably not buy a game system for 700 bucks plus games. Too expensive unless they find a better solution for some things PS3 is utilizing.
---------------------
Myspace:

deviantART:

Profile:

Sephiros
Uhrgan Urger

Postby Claquesous » Mon Feb 27, 2006 12:03 pm

A small article on how immature Cell programming is:

Babet 1766 9/17/08
Gueulemer 1170 6/8/08
Claquesous
Sky God

Postby Claquesous » Fri Mar 24, 2006 11:58 am

Screw XBox! Screw Sony! The next gen console I'm getting first is !

Babet 1766 9/17/08
Gueulemer 1170 6/8/08
Claquesous
Sky God

Return to Off Topic